- 1 c shredded coconut
- 2 c. steamed milk (heat milk just til steam forms over pan-DO NOT BOIL)
In Separate bowl:
- 5 tbs. flour
- 2 tbs. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c sugar
- Separate 3 egg yolks and beat until lemony in color (set whites aside for meringue topping)
- Add dry mixture (above) to steamed milk
- Add beaten egg yolks and coconut and cook til thickened (stir constantly)
- Add 2 tsp. vanilla
- After mixture is thickened (it will look like pudding) set aside to cool with a wax paper covering
- Pour cooled pudding into the pie crust.
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Note: This recipe comes to me from my mother who received it from her mother and so forth....
Not too many people take the time to make a really great old fashion pie these days. It's so easy to open a box of pudding but this is worth the time!
I can tell you from my own experience growing up and even today...once you've tried this recipe you will not want to order Coconut Meringue pie in a restaurant ever again.